Healthy Food Establishments
Healthy Northborough Food Establishment Initiative
The Institute of Medicine recommends nine healthy eating strategies that are outside the school day and based on the experience of local governments. One of the strategies is to improve the availability and identification of healthful foods in restaurants. In 2012, Building a Healthy Northborough began working with the restaurants in town to create measurable change in healthy eating options in the community. By collaborating with a nutritionist, restaurant owners identified healthy food options with lower fat, salt and sugar content, whole-wheat options, and smaller portion sizes. The chosen healthy food options are marked with a special sticker in the menu.
Food establishments participating in this program are endorsed as a “Building a Healthier Northborough” food establishment. They receive a window sticker and a plaque, and are listed on the town’s website.
On June 25th, 2012, the Building a Healthy Northborough Food Establishment Initiative was officially launched at the Board of Selectmen’s meeting. Jamie Terry, health agent and Building a Healthy Northborough team member, introduced seven Northborough food establishments that had taken the steps necessary to make healthy food options available on their menu:
- The Bistro @ 119: 1) Tuna sandwich with low fat mayo, 2) Low-sodium turkey sandwich with lite wheat bread, lettuce, and tomato (w/o condiments), 3) Low-sodium ham sandwich with lite wheat bread, lettuce, and tomato (w/o condiments), 4) Tuna salad with light Italian dressing and one slice of multi-grain bread, 5) Sugar-free chocolate pudding, 6) Sugar-free vanilla pudding
- Dunkin Donuts: 1) Brown Sugar Flavored Oatmeal with Dried Fruit Topping, 2) Egg White Turkey Sausage Wake-Up Wrap, 3) Egg White Veggie Flatbread, 4) Egg & Cheese on English Muffin, 5) English Muffin, 6) Original Oatmeal with Dried Fruit Topping, 7) Reduced Fat Blueberry Muffin, 8) Multigrain Bagel
- IHOP: 1) Simple and Fit Oatmeal, 2) Simple and Fit Simply Chicken Sandwich with Fresh Fruit, 3) Simple and Fit Fresh Fruit & Yogurt Bowl, 4) Simple and Fit Fresh Fruit Bowl
- JJ’s Sports Bar and Grill: 1) Chicken & Broccoli with Ziti with Lemon Garlic Sauce, 2) Grilled Salmon with Vegetable Medley and Mashed Potatoes, 3) Grilled Swordfish with Vegetable Medley and Mashed Potatoes
- Lalajava: 1) Basic Eggs in a Cup with Tomatoes, Spinach & Feta Cheese + Flatbread, 2) Smoothie without Whipped Cream, 3) Smoothie with Whipped Cream, 4) The California Brunch
- Lil’ M’s Mart: 1) Vegetable soup, 2) Kebab sandwich, 3) Chicken shwarma sandwich (with chicken, hummus, and salad), 4) Chicken shwarma sandwich (with chicken, hummus, and tabouli), 5), Kibbee sandwich (with hummus and salad), 6) Kibbee sandiwch (with hummus and tabouli)
- Monti’s Pizza Plus: Mediterranean Chicken Wrap
- Pickle Haus Deli & More: 1) Salad with Roasted Chicken Breast with Low Fat/Fat Free Dressing, 2) Chicken Vegetable Soup with Noodles
- Qdoba Mexican Grill: 1) Naked burrito (black beans, fajita vegetables, and roasted chile corn salsa) with grilled chicken or with steak, 2) Naked burrito (brown rice, grilled veggies, habanero salsa, lettuce, and sour cream), 3) Two tacos: Crispy taco shell, pulled pork, roasted chile corn, pico de gallo, and lettuce AND Crispy taco shell, grilled steak, fajita vegetables, pico de gallo, and lettuce, 4) Craft 2: Mini naked burrito (brown rice, black beans, fajita veggies, ranchera sauce, and sour cream) AND Mini naked taco salad (lettuce, black bean and corn salsa, pico de gallo, and guacamole with no dressing)
- The Texas BBQ Company: 1) The “Healthy Northborough” Potato, 2) Pulled Chicken Sandwich with One Side, 3) Large Garden Salad with Chicken with Fat Free Ranch Dressing
- Wegmans: 1) Asian Cucumber Salad (1/2 c.), 2) Beet and Orange Salad (1/2 c.), 3) California Skinny Roll, 4) Rainbow Skinny Roll